Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cookeville Mommies

I took my kids to the park today and had a glorious time. This is a small park with a few swings and two separate wooden play areas. One is for bigger kids and one is for smaller toddlers. It is behind a church in Cookeville. It has two wonderful features: 1. It is completely fenced in, 2. There is hardly ever anyone there. It is like your own private Idaho! Marshall actually did very well and Michael had a friend to keep him company. While I was there, a couple of moms that I did not know arrived with their kids. I started talking to one of them and found out we all had common ground. She was from Gallatin, TN originally and her friend was from Hendersonville, TN. For those of you that don't know....these cities are in the same county and that is where we moved from (Hendersonville) when we came to Cookeville. I really enjoyed the conversation and meeting someone new. We had been there for 2 hours and one of my friends showed up. Her daughter and Marshall are in the same class at daycare. All four of us were sitting under a big, oak tree watching our kids play with each other.

STAY WITH ME....I HAVE A POINT TO THIS STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another young lady showed up with her son who looked to be close to Marshall's age. I could tell she probably would have loved to join our conversation but I knew we were getting ready to leave. I did not want to start to talk to her and then say...."oh, gotta go!" I hated that. I felt bad that I did not get to speak to her. It is so hard being in a small town and not knowing anyone. Let me tell you.....big towns are much easier to get to know people. Small towns tend to have tighter cliques and they are not interested in adding to their gaggle. I have been fortunate to meet several people that have been very pleasant, friendly and introduced me to many people. However, if not for these special people....I would still be alone in this town and I have been here for 4 years!!!

I know Cookeville is probably not big enough to support a mommies internet group but I wish it had one. I have toyed with the idea of starting one but I don't have the time and I don't know how. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just something small on-line to get to know other moms. This would most likely be visited by new transplants to the area so they are open to new friendships for themselves and their children. If anyone has any bright ideas, I am open to suggestions.
I guess for now...all of us imported moms will have to continue to survive in a tight-knit town.

No comments: