Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy-Sad Day

Today is a Happy-Sad today. This is the last day of school for Michael. I cannot believe that after today he is officially a 3rd grader. Where does the time go?? I remember him starting Kindergarten like it was a month ago. My friend Christie was right....once they start school, time triples in speed. She has a daughter that graduated high school last week, so she should know.

For those of you that do not have kids in school yet, BEWARE. Things are different from when we went to school. I went to a private school in Nashville (Franklin Road Academy) and felt like I received an advanced education. However, compared to my son....public school, 2nd grade....I had no idea how fast kids are learning now. My goal is to keep up with what he is learning as he goes...that way when he reaches my plateau (granted I have a college degree) I can still help him. In math, he has learned 3 digit addition/subtraction including 'borrowing' in subtraction. By the way...it is no longer called borrowing....it is called re-grouping!! Whatever?!?!? He has also learned his multiplication tables of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 10. English consisted of ownership, punctuation (not just at the end of sentences but commas and apostrophes), capitalization, verbs, nouns and adverbs. Science class included buoyancy principles, the mechanics of pulleys, and states of matter. Spelling was the most advanced I have ever seen. His lists included words like throughout, petroglyph, naughty, daughter. I did not spell words like this until maybe fourth or fifth grade and what the hell is petroglyph, anyway!!!!! I feel dumber by the minute. I am happy to say Michael finished with 4 A's an 2 B's. This included a 100 average in spelling. That a boy!!!!

No comments: