Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Great Cookout

Yesterday was crazy from the minute I left work. I was expecting 10 adults and 7 children at the house around 5ish. From 3-5 o'clock I needed to start the grills, prepare and cook 6 racks of ribs, and take Michael to his haircut appointment at 4 p.m. The haircut was smack dab in the middle of my rotating schedule for the ribs. I got the ribs on about 3:30 but they take 2 hours to cook and have to be rotated every 30 minutes if you want them fall off the bone tender. So, I had to drive Michael to the hair place, drop him off, turn around back to the house to turn the ribs, turn back around to pick up Michael at the salon and then head back to the house. By this time my Dad and step-mom where waiting in the driveway. Damnit....they were 10 minutes early!! I hate they had to wait on me even if it was only a couple of minutes. I gave them a quick salutation and ran into the back yard to rotate the ribs AGAIN! I know this seems weird but I am extremely funny about how I prepare food on the grill. After being given a few secrets from family members.....I have become quite good at it and I do have a reputation to uphold!

After everyone arrived we ate and yes, I must say, compliments were abound. Even my Dad talked about how good and tender they were. If you knew my Dad you would know why this was such a big deal to me. He is a big grill cooker!! Anyway, the evening ended with my brothers playing Wii and looking totally hilarious while the kids systematically destroyed Michael's playroom. Oh well, that is what it is there for.

No comments: